The Risks of Electrical Fires
Electrical accidents that occur in an office environment are usually a result of faulty or defective equipment, unsafe installation, or misuse of equipment – specifically, extension cords, power strips and surge protectors.
To protect against electrical fire, SERVPRO of Glen Burnie recommends:
- Make sure the electrical load is not too much for the circuit.
- Avoid overloading outlets with too many appliances. Never plug in more than one high-wattage appliance at a time.
- Unplug appliances when not in use to save energy and minimize the risk of shock and fire.
- Inspect electrical cords once a month to ensure they are not frayed, cracked or otherwise damaged.
- Do not run electrical cords through high-traffic areas, under carpets or across doorways.
- Have a licensed electrician install additional outlets where needed, rather than relying on extension cords and power strips.
So, what do you do if you see an electrical fire?
- Never put water on an electrical fire. Mixing water with live electricity can shock you to death.
- Shut the electricity down in the building if you can. This should slow the progression of the fire, possibly saving other areas that have not yet been affected. Make sure that you know where the circuit box is and that it is easily accessible and not obstructed by any other objects.
- After the electricity has been shut off, use a Class C Fire extinguisher to put out the local flames. Make sure that you and occupants know exactly where the fire extinguishers are and have them inspected regularly so they are at the ready. Also ensure that Class C fire extinguishers are placed near locations where there is a higher risk of fire (kitchens, workshops, utility rooms, etc.).
- Even if you are able to get the fire under control yourself, do not turn the electricity back on until the fire department has a chance to inspect the area.
Annapolis, Glen Burnie, Pasadena and surrounding areas see too many home and business fires. Protect your business.